With nothing to do, as always, I just read through the blogs on my book mark every now and then. Just today, I read from one of my most-visited blogs, Chuvaness.com an interesting issue about a certain fashion blogger, who was lucky enough to chosen by Tumblr to go to the New York Fashion Week For Fall 2011, making an "insulting" remark about the Philippines not being "fashion-forward".  

Curious as to what her blog is like, I searched for it. Her blog is not actually far from those entries you would see on lookbook.nu. Normal people trying to explore how they dress and sharing them to the public, driven to do so for several reasons--to pass time, to be a known fashion designer, to share/brag your LOTD, etc. Yes, they are not the typical sense of fashion we would see on the streets of Manila. In a world where fashion is the least of one's priorities, they would really receive much attention and would stand out in the crowd for sure. 

Here are random screenshots from lookbook.nu.





And here are screenshots of her blog. 



After browsing her blog, I then searched for the video to see how she delivered her infamous remarks. 


With all honesty, I don't think there should be much uproar about her comments. 
Snippet of the article from abs-cbnnews.com
What she said might be really from a personal view point. Even I am guilty of this sometimes, picking on other people's outfit intentionally or unintentionally, drawing judgment from my own preferences, exposure to fashion trends, or sense of getting-everything-together as far as  I know it. 


From what I see, what made the matter worse was that the people expected much from her. Filipino delegates are expected to bring pride to their countrymen and the country itself. Among the few are Lea Salonga, Charice Pempengco, Arnel Pineda and most especially Manny Pacquiao who do what they're known to do not for themselves but for the country as well. In the case of this fashion blogger-stylist-photographer, she might have been overwhelmed by the opportunity she was given and have forgotten this teeny-weeny obligation.


I am pretty sure she now knows what's best to do come next time. 


Further reading: 
ABS-CBN News 
Hop.ph


0 Comments