Yesterday, I was browsing Twitter when I saw a friend's tweet about a BAYO meme. I actually had no idea until I asked my husband about it. Not suprisingly, my up-to-date husband explained that memes are already circulating the social media about BAYO's latest campaign.

What campaign? Why racist? BAYO shouldn't be racist..... they in fact declare they are a Pinoy-brand that compete with global brands like Forever21, Zara, H&M, and the like. I thought to myself.

Curious, I hurriedly searched for "BAYO ad" in Google and the article below was on of the top results. I was just halfway through the alleged manifesto when I "concluded" it was simply racist in plain text.

screencap from gmanetwork.com

I have never been offended by copies, statements, slogans, or campaigns that others find offensive, whether they are subtle for me or not. With its prevalance, I am already numbed by ads where a fair-skinned model stands out while the rather dark-skinned girl feels ashamed, where a mestiza girlfriend is easily liked by her boyfriend's meticulous mother, and even a dark-skinned child laughed at and ridiculed by other children in soap operas.

But not until this campaign. I would rather say that this campaign is unforgiveable most especially if this manifesto were authenctic. Like everybody else, I vehemently disliked the part (below) where they suppose that:

mixed nationality = "someone beautiful and world class"



I just couldn't accept that they have put it that way. It just sounded very wrong.

And as of this late afternoon, BAYO has already issued an apology after all this brouhaha:



Do you accept this apology? Well, as if it would matter.

Here are some funny memes that came after:





What then if they are 50% Bull, 50% Sh*t?

0 Comments